This page is from a hand-made book compiled by David Jayne Hill to commemorate the Second Peace Conference at The Hague, 15 June 1907 - 18 October, 1907. The page includes Carnegie's portrait, his signature and the quote, "Thine own reproach alone do fear" in his hand, and a picture of the Peace Palace at the Hague, which houses the Permanent Court of Arbitration.
The Court of Arbitration was established in 1899 by the First Hague Peace Conference, initiated by Tsar Nicholas II of Russia in order to address the issues of disarmament, international humanitarian law (including the laws of war), and peaceful settlement of disputes. The Court settles international disputes involving different states or international organizations. The Peace Palace in which the Court is housed was founded by Andrew Carnegie by a gift of $1.5 million in 1903. In accordance with Carnegie's wishes, the Palace also includes an extensive library on international law. It is still managed by the Carnegie Foundation.
The hand-made memorial book, which is held in Bertrand Library's Special Collections, includes 60 pages with coats of arms representing the countries who participated in the conference, as well as signatures, portraits, and other memorabilia honoring the participants. Other dignitaries who signed the book include Nicholas II, Tsar of Russia: King Edward VII of England; Francis Joseph, Emperor of Austria; King Victor Emanuel of Italy; King Gustav of Sweden; the Emperor of China; the Shah of Persia; and Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany.
Special Collections, Bertrand Library
Second Peace Conference at The Hague, 15 June 1907 - 18 October, 1907
compiled by David Jayne Hill.