wartz Hall
On October 15, 1955, the James S. Swartz Residence Hall was dedicated. This dormitory for 222 freshman men was named for James S. Swartz, Trustee from 1884 to 1931 and Chairman of the Board from 1917 to 1931. The John Houghton Harris Dining Hall, located therein, was named for John H. Harris, a member of the Board of Trustees from 1951 to 1954. In 1964-65, two four-story, air-conditioned, L-shaped wings ( not visible in this photograph of the original building) were added to house 218 upperclassmen. Thus, in 1965 Swartz Hall had a capacity to house 440 freshman men.
This building in other years: 1985 | Current
Back to the Bucknell History Page | Back to the 1965 Page