Ground was broken for the building on October 12, 1957 and the building
was dedicated on January 17, 1959. The classroom building was constructed
with a grant of $1,475,000.00 from the F. W. Olin Foundation, which was
the largest single gift received by the University to that time.
The initial occupants of the building were the departments of Economics,
Educa tion, History, Philosophy,
Political Science, Psychology, Religion, and Sociology. The quarters of
the Education Deparment on the
first floor included a "specially designed testing seminar", an
elementary education workshop, and an audio-visual aids lecture hall. The
Coleman theater seated 514; chapel
services were held there each Sunday during the college year. In 1961-62,
laboratory space was added for the Department of Psychology on the ground
In 1965, the office of the Dean of The College of Business Administration
was located on the ground floor. Three hundred and sixteen students ( thirteen
percent of the undergraduate student body) were enrolled in this College
which included faculty members in accounting, business admninistration,
and economics. Of these students, 303 were men and 13 were women.
The building was named in honor of Dr. William H. Coleman, Professor of English, Dean of the College, 1945-56; Vice-President and Secretary, 1956-58; and Vice-President and Dean Emeritus 1958-64. He died in January 1964.
|This building in other years: 1985
Back to the Bucknell History Page | Back to the 1965 Page