In 1916, when the Academy was discontinued as a separate department of the University, the Academy Building was remodeled for use by the Biology Department. Part of the third story was "fitted up" as a biological laboratory. When Dr. Emory W. Hunt assumed the presidency of the University in 1919, provision had been made for retired President Harris and his family to reside in the building in the apartment of the former Principal. Dr. Harris, however, moved to Scranton and the building was used by the Biology Department.
From 1918 to 1932: First Building, Biology Building, Taylor Hall
From 1918 to 1924, the former Academy building was called The First Building in the catalog. In 1920, the third floor of the building was converted from dormitory rooms to rooms for recitation, and the former dining room and basement were used as a printing plant to produce university materials. From 1924 to 1932, the building was called the Biology Building. In June, 1932, acting on a recommendation by the Class of 1872, the Board of Trustees named the building Stephen W. Taylor Hall, in memory of Stephen Taylor who had written the charter for the University at Lewisburg and who had been its first professor.
The Annex: Biology, Bacteriology and English
The Annex ( or East Hall ), which was constructed in 1889, was referred to as the Bucknell Recitation Hall during the 1930's and the 1940's. It is not visible in the photograph but was located to the far left. In the 1920, the large room on the first floor of East Hall had been remodeled for use by the Biology Department. In the 1920's the first floor contained laboratory space for bacteriology, and the second and third floors were used by the English Department. Around 1926, the bacteriological laboratory provided space for a "dispensary service for students having minor ailments", which was the beginning of the Bucknell health service that developed into the infirmary. Later, the laboratory provided diagnostic services for students admitted to the Ziegler Memorial Infirmary. Beginning in 1926, the bacteriological laboratory tested the milk, ice cream and water served at the college dining rooms.
In the 1920's, the bacteriological laboratories also served the Borough of Lewisburg and the surrounding area.
The service supplied by the biology department to the borough continued through the 1930's into the 1940's. In 1945, Dr. John Winter Rice, Professor of Bacteriology, was “...the Lewisburg health officer, with direct supervision of the community’s water and milk supplies.” He also tested the milk supplied by the college farm for use in the college dining rooms.
Taylor Hall in 1945
In 1945, Taylor Hall contained laboratories for work in zoology, embryology, histology, bacteriology, physiology, and anatomy; recitation rooms; a large lecture room on the first floor; and offices for faculty in biology, mathematics, psychology and zoology. Bucknell Recitation Hall contained offices for faculty in astronomy, bacteriology, education, mathematics, and philosophy; and recitation rooms and laboratories for work in physiology and bacteriology. Mathematics classes were taught there also. It was connected to Taylor Hall by a covered passageway. The South side of the Bucknell Recitation Hall had a large outside fire escape.
Biology in 1945
After the publication of the Flexner Report in 1911, medical education was changed greatly in the United States. The biology department had been involved with the education of future physicians since the late nineteenth century when Dr. George Groff , M.D. was Professor of Organic Science, and pre-medical training continued to be an important mission of the department during the 1920’s and 1930’s. In 1939, shortly before the beginning of the Second World War, Vice President Romeyn H. Rivenberg reported to the Board of Trustees,
By the late 1930’s, the biology department was emphasizing the relationship of specific biology courses to the preparation of students “for entrance to the best medical schools”, entrance into “public health work as laboratory assistants or teaching of hygiene in the public schools,” and for preparation to “teach biology or to enter graduate school.”
Education in 1945
After Llewellyn Phillips, Class of ’92, became Dean of the College in 1918, he continued teaching classes in the department of education. After his death in 1922, Phillips was replaced by Dr. George B. Lawson who moved to the philosophy department in 1924. Lawson was replaced by Dr. Frank G. Davis, Class of ’11, who was still department head in 1945.
Beginning in the 1924-1925 Academic Year, the Bachelor of Science in Education degree was offered, and the first degree was conferred in June, 1925.
Two graduate degrees were offered, the Master of Arts and the Master of Science in Education which were “…based on the requirements for the corresponding undergraduate degrees, the Bachelor of Arts and the Bachelor of Science in Education, as given at Bucknell.”
Mathematics in 1945
After the arrival of President Emory Hunt in 1919, many changes occurred in various academic departments within the university. One major change was the separation of engineering from the mathematics department.
A second major change occurred in mathematics in the mid 1920’s.
In 1945, students in the Bachelor of Arts degree program were still
not required to take courses in mathematics, although they could take
mathematics instead of courses in biological or physical science.
In 1945, twenty-four semester hours in mathematics courses numbered above 200 were required for a major in mathematics of which eight hours had to be in calculus and at least three hours had to be in courses numbered above 300. Students who “…[were] preparing for special vocations, such as teaching mathematics, actuarial and statistical positions…” were advised to “…consult the chairman of the department regarding the special courses in mathematics and in other fields that should be completed.” In 1944, Statistical Analysis by Dr. Clarence H. Richardson, Professor of Mathematics and Head of the mathematics department was “…chosen by the Army Institute as the book on statistics that [was] to be used.”
In addition to teaching courses required for a major in mathematics,
staff in the mathematics department taught courses required for degrees
in engineering, economics and commerce and finance, and the biological
and physical sciences. Cadets enrolled in the V-12 program also had
to take work in mathematics.
The Chemical Laboratory is slightly visible between the side porch and tree to its right. To the far right, adjacent to the path from the women's residence halls to the college quadrangle, one of the two pillars given by the Class of 1908, which marked the old College boundary next to Loomis Street, is clearly visible.
"fitted up" BT '82-'20, p. 313 (1/13/1916)
"dispensary service..." MBU '19-'31, p. 54
"Because of very close..." and the following paragraph, ib., p. 55
"...the Lewisburg health officer..." Theiss, p. 360
"...that 12 of the 17...", BT '20-'50, 6/10/1939, p. 1
"for entrance to the best..." and the other quotations in this sentence, CAT '37-'38, pp. 40-41
"The curiculum in biology may..." CAT '45-46, p. 46
"...a person whose pre-clinical education..." ib., p. 48
"For those students who present..." ib.
"On the coming of Dr. Larwson..." MBU '19-'31, p. 63
"[The Bachelor of Science Degree] differed..." ib., p. 64
"According to the records of the ..." ib., p. 68
"...eight semester hours of..."CAT '45-'46, p. 90
"Candidates for this degree..." ib., p. 58
"In order that only persons who..." ib., p. 89
"...organized for the purpose of..." and the other quotation in this sentence, ib., p. 95
"...that Bucknell is one of only five..." BT '20-'50, 6/10/1939, p. 2
"...based on the requirements for..." CAT '45-'46, p. 89
"With the advent of the new administration..." MBU '19-'31, p. 75
"Another radical radjustment of the ..." ib.
"...[were] preparing for special vocations..." CAT '45-'46, p. 131
"...chosen by the Army Institute as..." BT '20-'50, 6/24/1944, p. 2
The major source for the information on this page is the Minutes of the Board of Trustees of Bucknell University, 1920-1950 (BT '20-'50). Additional sources are Memorials of Bucknell University, 1919-1931 (MBU '19-'31); Oliphant, Rise of Bucknell; Theiss, Centennial History; "Directory of Faculty, Officers of Administration and Ship's Company of Bucknell University, November, 1945"; and the Catalogue of Bucknell University, Ninety-Second Year, 1937-1938, the Bucknell University Bulletin, Catalogue Issue, Ninety-Ninth Year, 1944-1945 (CAT '44-'45) and the Bucknell University Bulletin, Catalogue Issue, One Hundredth Year, January, 1946 (CAT '45-'46).
This building in other years: 1895
| 1895 | 1915
| 1965 | 1985
Back to the Bucknell History Page | Back to the 1945 Page