In January 1903, the Trustees authorized President John H. Harris to raise money to erect a dormitory for women. This new residence hall, called New Cottage, was completed at the same time as the Carnegie Building in 1905. It cost approximately $30,000 and contained four recitation rooms and eleven music rooms in the basement, and a gymnasium for females, called the Calisthenium, which encompassed the entire third floor and had "...a floor surface of over four thousand feet.". The women's tennis courts were located in front of the entrance of the building, between New Cottage and South Sixth Street. The structure was fireproofed with partitions of brick, and the interior was finished in oak. The new building did not receive a name until 1925, when it was named Harris Hall, after the death of President Harris. In 1915, New Cottage contained eighty-seven rooms.
"...a floor surface of..." CAT '15-'16, p. 14
The major source for the information on this page is the Minutes of the Board of Trustees of Bucknell University, 1882-1920 (BT '82-'20). Additional sources the Bucknell University Bulletin (Fourteenth Series, January 1915, No. 4) Catalogue 1914-1915 (CAT '14-'15) and the Bucknell Uinversity Bulletin (Fifteenth Series, January1916, No. 4) Catalog 1915-1916 (CAT '15-'16).
|This building in other years:
1945 | 1965
| 1985 | Current
Back to the Bucknell History Page | Back to the 1915 Page