Bucknell Hall, which had been dedicated in 1886, continued to be used as an auditorium as well as for chapel services every morning for many years. In 1909, President Harris reported to the Trustees that " . an enlargement of the chapel is greatly needed ." because " . the present Chapel furnished seats for only one-half of the College students and so requirements of attendance cannot be enforced." In 1912, the following resolution was adopted and sent to the Registrar:
In 1915, all collegiate students were required to attend religious services in Bucknell Hall each collegiate day. Students were also required to worship at some church in Lewisburg on Sunday morning and to attend religious services held at the College on Thanksgiving Day. In addition, on the Day of Prayer for Colleges, students were required to attend the sermon preached by the President of the University.
"...an enlargement of..." BT '82-'20, p. 248 (6/22/1909)
"It shall be..." BT '82-'20, p. 282 (6/18/1912)
The major source for the information on this page is the Minutes of the Board of Trustees of Bucknell University, 1882-1920 (BT '82-'20). Additional sources are the Bucknell University Bulletin (Fourteenth Series, January 1915, No. 4) Catalogue 1914-1915 (CAT '14-'15) and the Bucknell Uinversity Bulletin (Fifteenth Series, January1916, No. 4) Catalog 1915-1916 (CAT '15-'16).
This building in other years: 1895
| 1945 | 1965 | 1985
Back to the Bucknell History Page | Back to the 1915 Page